October 6, 2009

FIRST OF FALL

Last week it turned to fall, on Monday September 28th to be exact. That's the day I felt the light change and the air get a little crisper. Fall is the best time of year to scavenge delicious things to eat, and I partake whenever possible. Sometimes, I think it would be cool to be one of those people that only eat what they can forage themselves, but then I remember how much I like mac n cheese and pizza and I realize this is just a silly fantasy. But there is something that feels incredibly satisfying about finding your own food, especially when you live in a city. My first picks of the season include figs and walnuts:Watch out persimmons, I'm gonna pick you.First wild turkey sighting of the year in my neighborhood.On the way: Pears, persimmons, apples, and maybe even some mushrooms, though when we went for mushrooms last year, this is all we came up with:

No comments: